Monday, March 17, 2008

Open Every Sunday

I complain, a lot. In the bad sense of the word, it's something I'm not proud of. I work hard not to complain cause to look like Christ Paul has said we are to "do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like the stars in the universe".

However, I'd like to argue that there is a good sense of the word complain, a sense that forces Christ followers not to accept everything the way they are. And so try to take this complaint in the good sense. Yesterday prior to "Palm Sunday" I drove past two information signs outside of churches, one said "OPEN EVERY SUNDAY" and the other said "PALM SUNDAY MARCH 16". That was it just those two churches with two short phrases.

They annoyed me. First of all for the unchurched majority of folks who drive by a "church building" how would these signs speak to them? Might as well be "FIG or WILLOW SUNDAY" what does that mean? And "OPEN EVERY SUNDAY" are you kidding me? That big brick building is open every Sunday? What about the rest of the week? What's the point of that place, why would anyone ever want to go there?

We should use the signs to apoligize to our community, to announce that we care. I'm just sick of information signs speaking the language of the churched! Why do we even have information signs.

later
G.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Good post Greg...signs are for people unfamiliar with something, so they should inform!