Wednesday, April 13, 2011

More Thoughts - Review of Love Wins by Rob Bell

So, after processing this for a while.  I need to say I don't know the heart of Rob Bell, whether or not his intentions were to create a stir. I choose to expect the best and in doing so I see Rob simply wrestling with the questions many of us if we are honest wrestle with to.  My area of greatest tension with this book comes with the speculation that God will give those in this age who choose not to follow Him more opportunities to choose Him.  I feel this strips the Church of urgency and purpose.  Not that God doesn't have the means to offer second chances, and not that I believe this isn't an option.  I simply don't feel this assumption does us any good.  Why not go with the now, the present, the certain option.  Why give people hope in something that may not be certain?  Yes I believe love wins, but Bell explains that love is free will, love does win for those who have chosen not to follow Jesus now.  As much as I want them to choose otherwise.

I am grateful to Bell for opening this conversation.  And I like that he's okay with people like me disagreeing with him.  I like that he leaves room for a spectrum of interpretations.

I guess I'm just wrestling with the consequences of his speculation.  What is it's affect on how we the Church be the Church?

No comments: